Community Update: September 6, 2022
Dear Red Bank Families,
Day 1 is in the books and we are off to a great start! It was great to see our hallways, cafeterias, and classrooms filled with so many smiling faces. On behalf of our entire staff, please accept our gratitude and thanks for your patience with student arrivals and dismissal. The logistics of the first few days are always an interesting time and today’s inclement weather certainly did not help. Fortunately, our students enjoyed an outstanding day in school and we are certain things will improve with arrivals and dismissal over the next two weeks.
In the meantime, please note the following:
- School buses take about two weeks to fall into a consistent rhythm.
- The first few days of school always bring many extra vehicles to our parking lots for drop-off and pick-up.
- Inclement weather increases the number of family vehicles.
- The layout of Red Bank Primary School presents several challenges, so please continue to be patient as we get into a routine.
Finally, if you have not already done so, visit Genesis Parent Portal and complete your September Notices Verification and your Free or Reduced Meal Application. As a reminder, this year all students will NOT receive free breakfast or lunch unless eligible. View these School Meal Changes Videos (English & Spanish) for more details.
Looking forward to a great year. See you at Back to School Nights!
Jared J. Rumage, Ed.D.
Community Update: August 31, 2022
Dear Red Bank Families,
Summer is coming to an end, which means our empty buildings will once again become schools! We are excited to welcome our 1,261 children for our first day of school on Tuesday, September 6th! And tomorrow night - we look forward to an amazing Outdoor Family Movie Night in collaboration with the RBBEA on The Great Lawn of Red Bank Middle School. Please join us for Minions: The Rise of Gru at 7:45 PM (Food Opens at 7 PM - Pizza, Popcorn, Water and more)! Don’t forget your blankets and lawn chairs! As always, please refer to our District Calendar for upcoming events.
Once again, this has been a busy summer for the Red Bank Borough Schools. We have made multiple facility upgrades, including air conditioning and new scoreboards in the Middle School Gym, new flooring in all Middle School rooms, fresh painting of many Primary School Classrooms, and great progress with our school garden - The Primary Patch! Our staff have also been working on updating various areas of the curriculum which you will hear more about during Back to School Nights and other special events. And as you know, we take pride in hiring compassionate and highly-credentialed educators and this year we welcome many new educators and support staff members to our #RBBisBIA family. We are also excited to have all Preschool students in Red Bank for the first time in over a decade.
After a challenging few years that included hybrid learning and periods of full-remote instruction, student attendance will be a special focus. Our goal for 22-23 is for every child to be in school at least 171 of the 180 days of school. Research shows that student attendance is a huge factor in student performance. Unless ill, we need students to attend school daily, on time and for the duration of the day, ready to learn! We will do our best to create an engaging learning environment so our students run in just as fast as they run out! If your child must miss school due to illness or other reason, contact 732.758.1500 to leave a message for the Primary or Middle School, and for Preschool, contact your site directly. Remember, if your child misses school, then your child misses out!
What would an update be without at least one mention of COVID. We are hopeful the major disruptions due to COVID are behind us. Looking ahead, we will once again be mask-optional and remote instruction will not be an option. We will continue to exclude student-positive cases from school for 5 days. Assuming all symptoms have subsided, the student may return on Day 6 but must wear a mask through Day 10. If your child is in the classroom of a positive case at Preschool to Grade 5, you will receive a Remind text message informing you to monitor your child for symptoms. Due to classroom transitions, a positive case in Grades 6-8 will result in a similar Remind text sent to all students in the impacted grade level. Additionally, if there is a positive case in your household and your child is unable to isolate, we highly recommend your child wears a mask to school for a full 10 days.
- If you have not already done so, visit Genesis Parent Portal and complete your September Notices Verification and your Free or Reduced Meal Application. As a reminder, this year all students will NOT receive free breakfast or lunch unless eligible. View these School Meal Changes Videos (English & Spanish) for more details.
- Families are responsible for any damage caused to your child’s district-provided Chromebook and will be responsible for paying for repairs as per our 1:1 Technology Device Agreement. Chromebook repair fines vary but the minimum fine is $50.
- If you know anyone that has a child eligible for Preschool or is interested in attending our schools in Kindergarten-Grade 8, please share the link to our Central Registration.
- If you have recently moved in or out of Red Bank or changed your phone number, alert us immediately. This is important for communication, emergencies and transportation. If you have renewed a lease or moved within Red Bank, contact Ms. Lemus at 732-758-1507 immediately to update your paperwork.
- We have completed our annual residency re-verification for all Kindergarten and Grade 4 students. In the fall, we will be reaching out to specific families regarding expired leases and affidavits.
- Please review our 22-23 Family Handbook prior to the start of school and as a first point of reference throughout the school year.
Back to School Nights:
- Preschool (UMC, FBC, MDCC & Acelero): September 21, 2022 @ 6:00
- Preschool/Kindergarten/Grade 1/Vazquez/Rigby: September 28, 2022 @ 6:00 PM
- Grades 2 & 3/McGann/Guzman: September 29, 2022 @ 6:00 PM
- Grades 4 & 5: September 14, 2022 @ 6:00 PM
- Grades 6 & 7: September 15, 2022 @ 5:15 PM
- Grade 8: September 15, 2022 @ 6:30 PM
- Red Bank Middle School Rocketfest: September 30, 2022
- Red Bank Primary School Harvest Fest: October 21, 2022
We are looking forward to writing the next chapters in the #RBBisBIA story. This Best In America mindset will continue to define our culture and set the standard for all learners, adults and children alike. We will strive to be the Best In America so that we can be certain we are the Best for Red Bank!
Looking forward to a great year. See you on the 6th!
Jared J. Rumage, Ed.D.
Community Update: August 2, 2022
Dear Red Bank Families,
We hope this summer update finds you and your families healthy, happy and relaxed. We look forward to welcoming our staff back on September 1 and our students the following week on September 6. Yet again, this has been a busy summer in the Red Bank Borough Schools. Between summer programs, numerous construction projects and the hiring of new staff, we have kept busy ensuring everything is “just right” come September.
As you know, safety is and has always been at the forefront of everything we do. Our goal is to provide all students and staff a comfortable learning environment and the opportunity to enjoy the wonderful climate we have created in each of our school buildings. Looking ahead, we hope to collaborate with the Borough of Red Bank and the Red Bank Police Department in 2022-23 to enhance safety and security at each District location. We will keep you posted with updates as we approach opening day on September 6!
Finally, we are pleased to announce that The Association of School Business Officials International (ASBO) has awarded the Red Bank Borough Public School District with the Certificate of Excellence in Financial Reporting (COE) for the FIFTH year in a row! ASBO International’s COE recognizes districts that have met the program’s high standards for financial reporting and accountability. Congratulations to our Business Administrator, Eileen Gorga, and our entire Business Office staff.
SAVE THE DATE
- September Packet Pickup will be held on Wednesday and Thursday, August 17 & 18 from 9:00-11:30 AM and 4:00-6:30 PM at Red Bank Primary School. You may collect your packet, including teacher assignment and bus/walker card, no matter what school your child will attend in September 2022. All outstanding fines from the 2021-2022 school year must be paid in advance prior to receiving your new packet.
Genesis Parent Portal opens on Thursday, August 17 in conjunction with our September Packet Pickup. In case you forgot, an email with your username and password will be sent on August 16. All families will need to visit the Portal in order to digitally sign various documents. All Free and Reduced Meal Applications must be submitted through the Portal, similar to last year. All reduced meal applications will be FREE this year due to a Federal Grant! Our Board of Education has recently approved lunch balance forgiveness, so all students will start the 22-23 school year with a zero balance.
SAVE THE DATE! We are thrilled to bring back Outdoor Family Movie Night on Thursday, September 1! All families are invited to the Red Bank Middle School with their blankets and beach chairs to enjoy a movie and treats. Admission is FREE and the event begins at 7:00 PM. More details will be provided during September Packet Pickup. Should the September 1 forecast call for rain, the event will be held on August 31.
Please refer to our District Calendar for 2022-2023. All Preschool - Grade 8 students begin school on Tuesday, September 6, 2022 with a full day of school. Please plan vacations, family events and doctor appointments utilizing this calendar. Research shows that student attendance is a huge factor in student performance. Unless ill, we need students to attend school daily, on time and for the duration of the day, ready to learn!
We are proud to say each child from Preschool through Grade 8 has a district provided Chromebook. Please note families are responsible for any damage caused to the device and will be responsible for paying for repairs as per our 1:1 Technology Device Agreement. Chromebook repair fines vary but the minimum fine is $50.
Would you like FREE at-home COVID-19 tests? Visit www.covid.gov/tests to order today.
Our Summer Learning 2022 website is live. You will find various activities to engage all learners throughout the summer. Summer assignments for Red Bank Regional High School are also included.
If you know anyone that has a child eligible for Preschool or is interested in attending our schools in Kindergarten-Grade 8, please share the link to our Central Registration.
If you plan to move over the summer in or out of Red Bank or change your phone number, alert us immediately. This is important for communication, emergencies and transportation. Once again, our bus contractors are experiencing bus driver shortages and as a result, we anticipate changing several bus stops due to safety concerns as well as the need to condense some bus routes. These changes will hopefully eliminate many, if not all, of the challenges we faced last school year. Having your current address is critical to our transportation operations. If you have renewed a lease or moved within Red Bank, contact Ms. Lemus at 732-758-1507 immediately to update your paperwork.
Enjoy the next few weeks and we look forward to seeing you on August 17 or 18 at September Packet Pickup!
Jared J. Rumage, Ed.D.